Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Bookish Meme

I have been tagged. Therefore I am "it". And never let it be said that I spoil all the fun. (I only spoil "some" of the fun.) This is for the beloved Misster Kitty, that rascally "tagger".

Here's how it works...

- Pick up the nearest book.
- Open to page 123.
- Find the fifth sentence.
- Post the next three sentences on your blog.
- Then tag five people (and don't forget to name the lovely soul that thought so much as to include YOU!)

The book I grabbed was "Magical Thinking" by my absolute favourite author, Augusten Burroughs. The 5th sentence on page 123 is:
"I mean, it wasn't like he was somebody I trusted who molested or betrayed me."

The 3 (o.k. 4 - sue me for straying) sentences after:

"He was a hunky young guy in the wrong career who got my rocks off. For a straight guy, it would be like being fourteen and having one of the centerfolds from Playboy step out of the magazine and hand you a bottle of mineral oil. Like you'd complain? Like you'd go, oh my God, you've damaged me."

This passage is from a portion of the book where he discusses his first (of a few) experience (at age 14), having sex with a Catholic priest. And no, his books aren't overtly sexual in nature.

Ironically enough, I have all of my Augusten Burroughs books with me today. I'm going to see him at a book store appearance tonight in Toronto. I brought all 6 with the hopes that he'd sign them - or at least one. Like the rabid fan I am.

I don't know who to tag really. Perhaps if you're reading this and feel inspired to do so, I'd love to know what you're reading. Let me know. : )

2 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

YAY!

You Blogged!

I so happee!

Jerome said...

Yeeha!