Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Perfect Tuna Sandwiches North of Bloor

Today I congratulate myself on the perfecting of the tuna fish sandwich. Yes. You read it here. I did it. The most perfect tuna sandwich ever known to the human palette. And I do not fear telling the world, for I have nothing but joy to gain from knowing more souls will know the bliss. The secret is lemon juice, lemon juice, lemon juice, a shot of olive oil, and lemon-pepper. ...Oh... and 12 grain bread if you please.

Considering I don't really like fish, and I eat it merely as a healthy alternative... this is a delicious accomplishment. Mark my words, if you wish to begin living. ; )

That patting sound you hear? My hand, making contact with my own back.
Go tuna sandwich boy! Go!

And on a completely different note (of frustration), I would like bitch for a moment about friends. The kind of bitching that needs not be mentioned out loud to anyone specifically. Merely trumpeting it on the internet will serve a purpose all it's own.

Do you have any friends that never see your home? Not for lack of invitation or cleanliness, please note. Though I am no Molly Maid, I do not live in discernible filth. But I rarely have guests to my apartment - because... I can only surmise to have the laziest fucking friends in the world. I don't think I've ever written about where I live, but in the name of good storytelling I will say that I live in what is considered "Uptown Toronto".

I live minutes by foot, north of Eglinton Avenue West, and a 10 minute bus ride west of Yonge Street.

Yonge
Street is (at almost 1900 kms) formerly listed as the longest street in the world. For perspective... it is roughly 27 kms from my apartment, to my workplace (which is downtown by the Eaton Centre). It takes me 20 minutes via TTC subway to make this commute. The portion needed to traverse my section of the former longest street in the world, is a fraction of a fraction of its great distance.

20 minutes is not a huge time investment.

Admittedly, traffic can be awful, but this is Toronto; take the subway.

Perhaps I am alone in not minding the journey across the city to see friends in the many different communities they reside in. They live in the Beach. They live in Parkdale. They live in Cabbagetown. They live in Etobicoke. They live downtown. And I will gladly go wherever they live to enjoy their company.

But mention "where I live", and suddenly, many friends are too tired, don't have enough time, or enough dogs for the sled it will take to get north of Bloor Street.

Please note, I live 7 minutes north of Bloor Street by subway.
7.
Effing.
Minutes.

I do not complain.
Ever.
But it most certainly occurs to me that to go and visit my friends, I must traverse the exact time and distance it would take for them to visit me.

And with that, I release a giant sigh, and ask what I can bring from the great northern unknown of Eglinton Avenue West.

There are no seals to club for warm pelts, so don't bother asking.

Song of the day: click on the link to watch the video. Clare came to fame on YouTube and MySpace by doing cover songs. This link contains the incredibly moody Breakage Remix version of the song, but I highly recommend the amazing original too. This lady's got chops.

Clare Maguire - Ain't Nobody (& Ain't Nobody, The Breakage Remix)

Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.

Meet me in the red sky and dance with me,
let the valley change you and the night set you free.
This dusk in the desert,
it's heaven at the gate.
You are my desire,
You are my escape.

Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.

Open up this moment and bury me inside.
I can see us changing,
like a season over time.
It's sin undermines us,
reflections of your life.
Drown me in the silence,
it will never come undone.

Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.

woah oh x 3

Shadows are falling,
tomorrow is closing in.
Stay with me 'til morning,
open up your wings.
I can hear your whispers calling out my name,
will you promise me that you'll steal the night again?

Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.
Ain't nobody can love me like you do.

woah oh x 3

Meet me in the red sky and dance with me,
let the valley change you and the night set you free.
This dusk in the desert,
it's heaven at the gate.
You are my desire,
You are my escape.

No comments: