Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chocolate, Orgasms & Soothing Voices

There's strangely little to do at work this week. I think it has something to do with the glaring absence of our sales manager, thus leaving the sales reps to their own devices. This suits me fine today, because I've had a headache since I woke up.

Today, I was talking to one of my co-workers and listening to him speak, I found myself comforted by the sound of his voice. He's an elderly gentleman, and though his voice isn't "soothing" per say, it's calm and steady. As a result, I found myself wishing for a bonafide "soothing" voice.

Among the strange things I'll admit to, I am deeply affected by voices, and it's probably no small coincidence that I gravitated towards radio as a career. A soothing voice can literally cause a "trance-like" state for me, complete with a tingling sensation that's right up there with chocolate and orgasms. Not to mention, a guy with a sexy voice is immediately 75% more attractive to me, even if he's not good looking.
It's a weird affectation, but I'm sure I can't be the only person with a "fetish" as such. We have ears. And hearing is one of our most profound senses in relation to how our brain processes information. I know this because of the countless advertising seminars I've sat through.

On a day like today, in a lull of better things to do, I'll search YouTube for whatever comes to mind. And I went looking for "soothing voices". Sadly, I didn't find much that qualified that wasn't just a little odd, and furthermore, I found absolutely nothing that could appeal to, or induce that aforementioned "trance-like" "tingly" state.

I did find something that might prove useful for falling asleep, but the woman's voice is bed-time story worthy soothing. Check this out.

I remember as a kid I used to watch Bob Ross on the Joy of Painting. I found his voice rather transfixing. That reminded me of The Secret City with Commander Mark. Though, checking it out today I realize I had a crush on Commander Mark. I don't think it was his voice. Or his mustache. (Definitely not the mustache.) I think it was his eyes... and his enthusiasm... and the jumpsuit.
C'mon, he's kinda cute in that 80's way. No??
Wow, I loved that show. Drawing and watching him draw used to keep me thoroughly entertained.

My search for a soothing voice on YouTube continues. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

In the vein of all things soothing... I encourage you to click here... for the Flower Duet. Don't ever say I don't mix things up musically.

Flower Duet (English translation)

Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
With the roses entwined together
On the river bank covered with flowers laughing in the morning
Let us descend together!

Gently floating on its charming risings,
On the river’s current
On the shining waves,
One hand reaches,
Reaches for the bank,
Where the spring sleeps,
And the bird, the bird sings.

Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
Ah! calling us
Together!

Under the thick dome where white jasmine
With the roses entwined together
On the river bank covered with flowers laughing in the morning
Let us descend together!

Gently floating on its charming risings,
On the river’s current
On the shining waves,
One hand reaches,
Reaches for the bank,
Where the spring sleeps,
And the bird, the bird sings.

Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
Ah! calling us
Together!

No comments: