Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Inaugural Blog

And so I begin blogging. I guess this should be meaningful or witty, or at the very least, engaging, but since I'm the only one who knows of my blog for the time being, I'll be as frivolous and boring as I want to be for now.

My name is John. I aspire to be a writer one day. Not that I'm not a writer right now. Because I am, in a life-choking, constricted, limited to client's whims kind of way. I'm a radio copy writer, and I have been for 12 years as of this November (2006). Is it what I see myself doing for the rest of my life? Not by any means. But it's my lot in life for now. I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly; that some kind of inspirational bug is going to bite me and invoke a need to keep adding to this blog and explore my own psyche and find something worthwhile to eventually write about for a living and subsequently for my own pleasure.

I visit 3 other blogs on a daily basis and they've been a bit of an inspiration. One blog is of a childhood friend whom I've known since I was like 14 years old. She doesn't always post frequently, but it's nice to know she's alive and well. The second blog I visit is another, more distant friend, who's an ex-coworker of mine from my Timmins days. I visit her blog because she's so damned funny and seems to never be at a loss for words. Y'know, one of those people who you meet and might actually say "You should be on the radio" to, which would be perfectly alright because she is on the radio everyday. Life affirming no? The third blog I visit daily is called "the daily slap", the title of which for the longest time kept me quite baffled, since I was only interested in seeing the bountiful pictures of hot men the guy posts every day. Shallow? Perhaps, but me likey.

So how'm I doin' so far? Engaging yet? Have I written anything worthy of being an inaugural blog? Not likely I'd guess, but maybe I'll look back on this one day and smile.

Since I'm undertaking the writing of this blog whilst at work, there's bound to be a lot of interruptions. Of that I can be certain. Interruptions make me bitchy, but there doesn't seem to be a way around it. (open concept office with lots of coworkers who seem to think it's rude to walk past my desk without saying something or being a general disruption to others) I might even be baited into documenting some of the colourful characters I work with eventually. I read somewhere that that's a fatal blogging error, that can sometimes get you fired so being mindful of that I may change a few names. I say "a few" like there's actually any number of people I might bitch about from my workplace when in actuality, there's really only one person who makes me crazy. But I'll save that for another day. As a teaser though: he smells like "hockey bag". What does "hockey bag" smell like you may ask? Like a locker room... a dirty dish rag... a mop that needs to be replaced... a mildewy, nasty, pungent aroma that arrives before him and lingers once he's left the room. Intriguing isn't it? Too bad it's repulsive intrigue instead of something you'd truly like to experience for yourself. The more I ride public transit though, the more I'm learning that it's not an uncommon odour. Not that that makes it any more tolerable.

Anyhow... I'd rather not end my inaugural blog detailing a foul-smelling funk. So I'll close with recommending a song to listen to. Y'see since I've been toying with the idea of writing my own blog for a very long time I wondered at the possibility of doing something meaningful each time I made an entry, and the only thing I could think of that I might be even slightly skilled at, is recommending good music. I've loved music my whole life and have quite an extensive collection. I love all genres, so there's bound to be something for anyone in what I recommend and if you don't like my daily selection, try not to write me off too quickly. I'll try to include the lyrics and the reason why I chose it. My first choice is "Borrowed Heaven" by The Corrs. At a first glance, the lyrics may not seem terribly "deep", but it truly is a beautiful song. As morbid as it might sound, I'd like this one played at my own funeral. Yes, terribly morbid. But the song is very hopeful and has kind of an awe-inspired gratefulness to it. Be happy for what you're given and see the beauty in every day. No short order, but idealistically it's a nice thought. I've loved this song from the first time I heard it in 2004.

All beauty all fade away, borrowed
All moonlight return to day, borrowed
All sunrise all shooting stars, borrowed
All earth bound bare feet in clay
you know we’re standing on

Borrowed borrowed heaven
Borrowed borrowed heaven

All heartache all rivers cried, borrowed
Don’t stay out too late tonight, borrowed
I love you don’t wanna die, borrowed
You taste like paradise, I know I’m breathing in

Borrowed borrowed heaven
Borrowed borrowed heaven
Borrowed borrowed heaven
Borrowed borrowed heaven

You gave me life and I will give it back
But before I do, I’m gonna hold it tight
This is my prayer

All body, all skin all bone, borrowed
All silky, all smooth and warm, borrowed
All pleasure, all pain are one, borrowed
Almighty I stand aloneI know I’m living in

Borrowed borrowed heaven

No comments: