Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Monkeys are Funny

Cold deep-fried turkey on grilled-red-pepper stoned-wheat crackers is a new favourite snack. I cannot tell you how delicious it is. Good thing too, 'cause it's what I'm eating for lunch.



In completely unrelated news; early this morning I was amused to discover that I have not one, but two friends who don't like monkeys. This gives me pause. But only because I thought that monkeys were just universally admired as they resemble little furry people; only animal-like. (granted, they're little furry people who screech, copulate in public and have been known to toss feces - but to me that still sounds a little bit fun. I jest - but not entirely. Remind me to tell you about the "PTV" episode of Family Guy in which Peter and Cleveland do a segment called "Would You Crap Off That?". I happen to find poop jokes insanely funny, more so than a well-adjusted person should really.)
In retrospect, perhaps it was naive of me to think that everyone likes monkeys, because simply put, not everyone enjoys everything. Not-to-mention the fact that phobias and general disdain for things/creatures (nouns in general) can spring out of nowhere for seemingly no reason. But one friend in particular HATES monkeys, like beyond capitol-letter emphasis! She cannot handle even "looking" at a primate of any kind. They make her cringe and shudder in disgust. Even the cute little spider monkeys in the Telus commercials. Incidentally, I posted that picture knowing full-well that the aforementioned friend does not read my blog, and the second friend: Keltie (whom I'm mentioning for the second day in a row) has specified that she can tolerate spider monkeys more so than other species, but to be clear, that doesn't mean she likes them. ***post-script*** It would seem the picture doesn't show unless you click on it. A web-genius I am not.

Now I'm not campaigning for monkeys by any means. Yes, admittedly I've always found them cute and entertaining (except for the movie "Outbreak" in which they were quite the terrifying plot device) but I've never been a monkey "fan" persay. However, the question of their appeal or repugnance as the case may be, is a good one.

Why do monkeys have such a widely adored status? Maybe it's because they vaguely remind us of ourselves, and how we'd behave if we weren't self-aware and civilized. That could be used as an argument in favour of or against the little critters though. From an evolutionary stand-point, we may very well have behaved like monkeys until the advent of laser hair removal. Who knows?
I think I like animals (not just monkeys) better than I like most people, so the appeal of monkeys for me is just the cute little fingers-n'-toes, their agility, curiousity and mischief-loving nature. Not that I've ever known a monkey personally - they could be little assholes, so far be it from me to condemn anyone for not liking them.

Song of the day is a thematic thing... a song I've never really understood, but I've liked it since childhood. What were you talking about Peter Gabriel? And is your desire to electrocute monkeys a direct result of a feces-flinging incident? If so, I "sooo" want to know. I would laff and laff and laff.


Shock the monkey to life
Shock the monkey to life

Cover me when I run
Cover me through the fire
Something knocked me out' the trees
Now I'm on my knees
Cover me, darling please
Monkey, monkey, monkey
Don't you know when you're going to shock the monkey

Fox the fox
Rat the rat
You can ape the ape
I know about that
There is one thing you must be sure of
I can't take any more
Darling, don't you monkey with the monkey
Monkey, monkey, monkey
Don't you know you're going to shock the monkey

Wheels keep turning
Something's burning
Don't like it but I guess I'm learning

Shock! - watch the monkey get hurt, monkey

Cover me, when I sleep
Cover me, when I breathe
You throw your pearls before the swine
Make the monkey blind
Cover me, darling please
Monkey, monkey, monkey
Don't you know you're going to shock the monkey

Too much at stake
Ground beneath me shake
And the news is breaking

Shock! - watch the monkey get hurt, monkey

Shock the monkey
Shock the monkey
Shock the monkey to life

1 comment:

Keltie said...

Me! Me! Talk about me some more!

Ahem. Kidding, of course.

I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't like monkeys because they're like miniature versions of people who are rude and dirty little assholes, but without the basic education and social integration.

Brrrr. Monkeys.