Thursday, November 23, 2006

Run Tommy Run (far, far away)

Watched Mission Impossible III last night, and I can say with all honesty that it's just as good as the first 2, and that's not saying much. The word "Gratuitous" comes to mind. It wasn't a movie so much as a 2+ hour commercial to make aging Tommy couch-bouncer look good. And in all fairness he does look good. Not just for his age; Tom Cruise still looks good. But there is such a cheese factor to every action movie he does.

For one, I am sick-to-death, tired of seeing him run. And it would seem that Tom specifically asks for at least one scene in every movie to showcase just how fast his little dachshund-man-legs can carry him.

The plot was dull, dull, dull. The dialogue was OK considering said dullness. I found I was a little confused by the opening scene and how exactly it worked itself into the pique of drama later on, but that may have been because I didn't feel compelled to give the movie my full attention. The effects, although very shiny-explosive were just a little too choreographed, even for a movie that's completely about suspending disbelief. Not to mention I still don't think I know whether Lawrence Fishburne's character was a villain or just merely corrupt, nor do I really care.

I did however love the scenery - particularly the windmill fields (as great a location for a cinematic helicopter chase/battle as any I suppose... although it made me feel absolutely ill to see 2 windmills destroyed - hopefully they were CGI.) and the streets of Tokyo. If nothing else, Mi III "looked" great.

Oh oh oh.... and I can't forget Keri Russell (from Felicity). She did a remarkable job. Loved her part albeit brief.

Overall, it was one of those movies that pleased me most when the credits rolled. Deleted scenes? A whole whack of 'em. Ted was like: "Wanna watch the deleted scenes?" John was like: "I don't really care what they left out". I could think of a few additional scenes of my own to delete. (ie: "run dachshund run", and a post-sex torso pan of Tom Cruise from bottom to top in bed - hee - bed pan) So needless to say, Ted will be watching those on his own.

The thing that worries me most about this movie... ***Nerd Alert*** is that it's directed by JJ Abrams, who is working on the 11th Star Trek film. I hope to God that the overall story and flow of Mission Impossible III is not any indication of how the new Trek movie's going to play out, or I'm afraid there won't be any more Star Trek in my lifetime. Not that that would be the end of the world, but it would make me very sad.

Song of the day: a quirky lil' diddy by Scissor Sisters. Once again, from the album "Ta Dah". One of the best CD's of the year in John's world.

"I Can't Decide"

It's not easy having yourself a good time
Greasing up those bets and betters
Watching out they don't four-letter
Fuck and kiss you both at the same time
Smells-like something I've forgotten
Curled up died and now it's rotten

I'm not a gangster tonight
Don't want to be a bad guy
I'm just a loner baby
And now you're gotten in my way

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry
No wonder why
My heart feels dead inside
It's cold and hard and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride

It's a bitch convincing people to like you
If I stop now call me a quitter
If lies were cats you'd be a litter
Pleasing everyone isn't like you
Dancing jigs until I'm crippled
Slug ten drinks I won't get pickled

I've got to hand it to you
You've played by all the same rules
It takes the truth to fool me
And now you've made me angry

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry
No wonder why
My heart feels dead inside
It's cold and hard and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride

Oh I could throw you in the lake
Or feed you poisoned birthday cake
I wont deny I'm gonna miss you when you're gone
Oh I could bury you alive
But you might crawl out with a knife
And kill me when I'm sleeping

That's why I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry
No wonder why
My heart feels dead inside
It's cold and hard and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride

No comments: