Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Mmmmmmm.... Pop.

Sometimes I must admit my unapologetic sweet-tooth for the sugary goodness of pure orgasmic, melodic pop.

Tonight as I was sitting at work ridiculously late with little or no reason to be there other than not wanting to go home to an empty apartment, I decided I would indulge in a trip to HMV. (The big one on Yonge) I figured I'd spend as long as I wanted going through every single row of CD's and pick one or two. I spent over an hour and a half doing so, and enjoyed myself thoroughly, 'cause I haven't done that in forever.

I was hoping to get some really, really good deals and wind up with a bunch, BUT... because I was determined to at last pick up the latest Sam Phillips CD: Don't Do Anything, (which as expected was effing expensive) I stuck to my guns and only got two. I don't regret for a moment that I bought the Sam album, 'cause it's fantastic, and I will revisit that in a later post.

Here comes the explanation of "unapologetic". Y'see... I am NOT an American Idol fan. I don't hate it for the sake of hating it, nor do I deny there are some genuinely talented young vocalists rolling off the line in it's fully greased machinery either. BUT... other than Kelly Clarkson, I have not been a patron of the factory American Idol represents. HOWEVER.... like a year or two ago, on YouTube... whenever it was that I relented some hype to pass through my gates, I saw this button-cute, little guy sing "Imagine" by John Lennon. And he sang the fuck out of it with about as much passion and tenderness I've ever heard. For those not-in-the-know, his name is David Archuleta.

Now for some reason unknown, he didn't win his season, and since even his beautiful take on that song couldn't coerce me into devoting any time to that show, I couldn't tell you with any sincerity whether he was robbed or not. All I know is that the boy can sing, and I've been paying attention to the singles from his debut album, and since the first time I heard "Crush" (the first single) I knew I'd be buying this CD. Tonight I did. No apologies. I love this kid's voice. He does not take a single note for granted and his debut is pure pop bliss. I love it. I've already listened to it 3 times.
I'd go beyond merely recommending it, and insist you go pick it up. It's simply called David Archuleta.

Repeat after me: we love him.

Seriously, I can't wait to see what he does when he has more control over the material he sings. Though he does have a hand in writing a couple of the songs, and does more than justice to a cover of Robbie Williams "Angels".

I'm a giddy school girl fan of an American Idol. Oy! Oh well. Pride and an empty sack is worth the sack. I'd wear a David Archuleta t-shirt if I had one. He's that good.

"Your Eyes Don't Lie" David Archuleta

(I won't bother posting lyrics, 'cause if you watch the video link and hear the song, --which I strongly encourage you to do-- some fan crazier than I, has already done the work in far more entertaining detail.)

8 comments:

Wanda said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post about David Archuleta! I run one of his many fansites and I love it when someone else sees AND hears his talent! I also love that you linked "Your Eyes Don't Lie" because it is one of my favorites! Thank you!

Johnny said...

Aww, thank you for taking a moment to tell me so. He really is talented.

How in the world did you find my posting so quickly? You must be hardcore. ;)

cowboys4 said...

John,
What a great writeup on David's album! It's nice to hear from David's male fans out there.. you'd never know they existed from how his fanbase is portrayed in the media. Apparently David only appeals to pre-teen girls. ;)
I am so addicted to that VOICE that I've barely listened to anything else since his CD came out. Can't wait for the next album! LOVE Your Eyes Don't Lie, too.
Your doggies are too cute! My poor dog had knee surgery yesterday. Not fun.

Annie said...

You are soooo right. Yes, we love him! Hahaha

I run a fanwebsite, too, and it always makes my day when someone's blog pops up on my google alerts with such a positive review of David's debut album. :) David is amazing, and like you I can't wait what he'll come up with in the future.

P.S.: Love your dogs!

Johnny said...

Haha, thanks you guys.

I hope your dog makes a full recovery cowboy!

Google alerts huh? So that's why this entry is garnering so much attention.

And as for the teenage girl audience... 30-something year old gay guys kind of slip into that demographic by default I'm learning. Why should I be any different I suppose? But, though I think David is undeniably cute, it's his voice that blows me away. ; )

Jerome said...

David blah blah blah.

Everyone seems to be missing the TRULY significant part of this post, which is Sam Phillips and "Don't Do Anything" which is brilliant. Did you know that I recently saw her in an amazing, intimate concert? I went with a great old friend that I've known from way back.

Johnny said...

Oh Jerome, you wee pot-stirrer you! ;) Perhaps if I had made more effort to express my love for the new Sam album I could've had a few of her rabid fans spring out of the woodwork to commiserate.

I remember that concert so fondly. It's nice to hear the songs again just to recall where I heard them first, and with whom. *hug*

Sean Newbury said...

David Archu-who?

;-)

HUGS!