Monday, March 17, 2008

Cocky Ozzy, Lacking Janet, and Daddy Johnny

Alrighty, I'm up to speed on Survivor. Ozzy's getting kinda cocky, which is a little bit disappointing, since I'd come to think he was above that. Anyhoo... seems he's not. Chet is gone, and deservedly so. He seemed like a truly nice man, but he certainly was reinforcing some negative stereotypes about gay-folk and that makes me antsy. He exited with incredible grace though. I love it when people give a well-thought-out departure speech. Hell... he does have a lot to be proud about I suppose. I for one would feel an incredible sense of accomplishment for outlasting Gorilla Joel. I was a little disappointed that Jonathan went home, and I actually felt a little teary with compassion. He hasn't been nearly as obnoxious this season, and to be taken-out by an injury really must suck. I knew he was going to have to leave though. That was a huge gash in his knee, and you can't just slap a bandage on something like that under those living conditions. It would be painful in the most sterile of environments, never mind all the filth that the contestants live in for 39 days. I'm not yet certain of who I'm rooting for to take home the prize. At this point I'll be surprised if it's a fan. They seem to be an endangered species. But things can always change. If I hadn't watched last season, I think I'd be cheering for James (to get an underwear modelling contract among other things) because he's been portrayed as pretty subdued and good-natured this season. Sadly, I still don't like him very much. The wonders they can create with editing huh? I'm sure Parvarti enjoys being portrayed as the village harlot for example, but she gives them lots of footage to work with. This much is certain.

Anyhoo, enough about Survivor for now.

With regards to the "Janet" night on Friday. We had a great time. But I was under the distinct impression that it was going to be all Janet music all night. This was not the case. And so the consensus was that the music was a little weak 'cause it wasn't at all what we were expecting. I'm thinking maybe the DJ didn't have a complete catalog of her music. I on the other hand; do. And would be only so happy to put together an entire evening of ass-shakin' Janet tunes. Heaven knows she's got the repertoire.

This weekend with the nephews and nieces turned-out to be a lot of fun. Nathan (the youngest nephew) was my biggest fan for some reason and I actually started feeling pangs of paternal instincts and the desire to have a child. Luckily it passed. But I have to say; there's an awful lot of appeal in the thought of potentially raising a child to be empowered and full of love for him/herself and others, and teaching the importance of kindness, respect and grace among other virtues. I rarely ever think to myself "Gee, I'd be a great dad." ...But sometimes....

To that end... the lyrics to "Lullaby for Wyatt" by Sheryl Crow. A song she wrote for her adopted son. It's beautiful. Happy St. Patrick's Day all!

The world could fall apart
But you're my heart, my dear
I will sing this song
'Til we are gone, my dear

How do I keep you from losing your way
Hope you'll go out and you'll come back some day
But love is letting go
And this I'll know
Cause you were mine
For a time

I could shape your mind
But why waste time, my dear
There's so much more to know
Than I can show you dear

How do I keep you from losing your way
Hope you'll go out and you'll come back some day
But love is letting go
And this I'll know
Cause you were mine
For a time

I have held you close
And breathed your name, my dear
I was with you then
And will remain, my dear

How do I keep you from losing your way
Hope you will find love like I did some day
But love is letting go
And this I'll know

Cause you were mine
For a time

No comments: